Rod Holcombe software distribution site
This site contains downloadable software and GIS tools developed by Rod Holcombe. Most are free to download and use, although the Windows application GeoCalculator requires a paid licence for continued commercial or site use. The software includes packages for plotting stereographic projections, rose diagrams and wind roses (GEOrient); for structural and oriented drillcore calculations (GeoCalculator); for strain and shear zone calculations (StrainCalculator & GeoFryPlots); microstructural behaviour (GhoshFlow) and GIS tools in MapInfo and QGIS for plotting structural symbols on maps (GeoMapSymbol & GeoQSymbol), and Mapinfo tools for calculating vector trends (azimuths) and lengths (GeoMapVector), and extracting nodes from polylines (PolyNodeExtractor).
Direct links to software downloads
|Download link||Description||Current version||Current version date||Mode|
||Stereographic projections, rose diagrams, wind roses||
|May 15, 2023||Now FREE|
|GeoCalculator©||Structural geology and oriented drillcore calculator||
|Sep 23, 2018||Licence*|
|Start-up manual for GEOrient©||Detailed instructions for loading and plotting data in GEOrient||Apr 27, 2021||Free|
|GeoQSymbol© for QGIS||CSV file with geological structural map symbols for QGIS||Oct 24, 2020||Free|
|GeoMapSymbol© for MapInfo||MapInfo geological structural map symbol plotting tool||
|Jan 11, 2011||Free|
|Expanded symbol table for GeoMapSymbol©||Definition of 100+ symbols. Replaces the table generated automatically by GeoMapSymbol||May 20, 2009||Free|
|GeoMapVector© for MapInfo||MapInfo tool for calculating azimuths and lengths of lines or polylines in map windows||
|Jul 28, 2001||Free|
|PolyNodeExtractor© for MapInfo||MapInfo tool for extracting the X & Y coordinates and an optional Z value from the node locations of any point, line, polyline, or region object in an open Mapinfo table||
|Apr 21, 2006||Free|
|Strain Calculator©||Graphical strain and shear zone calculations, including 2D plane strain general shear||
|Nov 1, 2009||Free|
|GeoFryPlots©||Fry point-to-point strain analysis plots||
|Mar 20, 2004||Free|
|Ghoshflow©||Graphical modelling of Ghosh & Ramberg-style rotation of rigid objects||
|Apr 17, 2009||Free|
- The software is specific to Microsoft Windows. (It may install and run under Windows emulations on Macs, although Help links within each application will not work).
- *The packages can be used freely by academics (teachers and students) for teaching and non-commercial research purposes, but please acknowledge the author in any publication or figure arising from the use of these packages.
- For commercial users the unregistered download version of GeoCalculator can be used for evaluation purposes only for a reasonable interval that must not exceed two months The software must be registered for continued commercial use. Academic users who wish to access the full File I/O capabilities and drillhole calculations must also purchase registration.
- Although every effort is made to rectify bugs as they are recognized, the author cannot guarantee that these packages are without error, and assumes no responsibility for their use, or for interpretations based on their use.
- Travel commitments may occasionally delay my ability to handle email queries promptly